- * Exceed R/C - * Futaba - * Traxxas - * HPI Racing - * Duratrax - * Tamiya -
Want to upgrade?
- * Radio Systems - * Suspension - * Motors & ESC's - * LED Lighting - * Lexan Bodies - * Wheels & Tires -

Wanna know what ORCCTM can do for you? Let ORCCTM know what's got your gears going,
and let ORCCTM give you some pointers and guide you in the right direction.

Email rcmodzwinnipeg@gmail.com
Get the details on some fellow R/C enthusiast common questions and some of ORCCTM's How-To
along with ORCCTM's answers to your questions listed bellow on our blog post's

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Liquid Mask Nightmare

Photobucket
Chad wrote to Online Radio Control Car & Truck Mechanic:

“My name is Chad, and I have a question. I have done some body painting in the past and have enjoyed the pre-cut windows masks and the new pre cut designs you can get. But even with all those choices, I still like to make my own. My problem is when I use liquid mask. I use it, it works pretty well. The main problem is when the mask is a little thin in some areas and won’t peel off. I try my best and it doesn’t always come clean. When I paint, you can still see little chucks or pieces of mask between the layers. I try to go on thicker, but I always find a area too thin. Ay idea on how to get rid of ALL the masking??
Thanks ORCCTM.”

Chad, UT

Hmmmm well Chad, I have in fact ran into your problem personally myself. It is hard to go on thicker on some areas of a lexan body. Face it, the contours of some body’s now…. I feel your pain. What I do is this, wait until the mask and your paint job is fully dry. While you can peel off liquid mask fairly easily it is hard (like you said) to sometimes get those little pieces from layer to layer. Apply a few overlapping layers of masking tap over the area you want to remove the mask from. Pull, and you will start grabbing all those little tiny chucks/pieces of liquid mask from the smallest of paint edges. Give it try, you may have to apply it a couple of times… but one thing is for sure, the paint isn’t going anywhere. They only thing not permanently bonded to the lexan is the liquid mask. This trick works wonders on Tamiya and Pactra type aerosol spray cans. The Parma Faskote water based paints you just to be extra careful. Put the paint on nice and thin and even coats. Let everything dry and perform the tape removal trick.

Glad to be able to assist you, I hope this helps you out.

ORCCTM Tech.

No comments:

Post a Comment