- * Exceed R/C - * Futaba - * Traxxas - * HPI Racing - * Duratrax - * Tamiya -
Want to upgrade?
- * Radio Systems - * Suspension - * Motors & ESC's - * LED Lighting - * Lexan Bodies - * Wheels & Tires -

Wanna know what ORCCTM can do for you? Let ORCCTM know what's got your gears going,
and let ORCCTM give you some pointers and guide you in the right direction.

Email rcmodzwinnipeg@gmail.com
Get the details on some fellow R/C enthusiast common questions and some of ORCCTM's How-To
along with ORCCTM's answers to your questions listed bellow on our blog post's

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Get the "Whole" Idea.

Kerry wrote to Online Radio Control Car & Truck Mechanic:

"I wanted to email you guys/girls (sorry but i don't know) about a problem I have been having. I have a T-Maxx, and I know you guys deal with electric car mostly, but i'm hoping you can still help me with my nightmare. I have glued my new set if tires and wheels. I took it out to the sand pits and had a blast ripping around in the gravel and even the odd puddle. But.... I now have water in my tires and I'm sure some rocks. HOW do you suggest I get them out. My buddies say I'm SOL and need to de-glue my wheels and tires. I read about glue remover and acetone.... but that will wreck my nice chrome wheels. ANY help would be great, thank in advance!
-Kerry, Il."

Kerry, don't sweat it. we may have a solution for you. Let's start by stating a few things. First, as you may already notice that with rims and tire glued it's hard to get them unglued without some work. Plus, if you run into the same problem again, same thing. This is un-needed wear and tear on your fingers and you will wreck your tires after having them dismounted and re-glued too often. R/C car tires don't hold air like real cars do. Air should be able to pass freely in and out of your tires, and even though most rim manufacturers drill holes in the rims to allow airflow, there is a better method. You may be asking what this has to do with me right? Well these holes will help draw the water into the wheel as well. So, let's attack this from the other side. Use a pair of side cutters, or even a high-speed motor tool to bore two SMALL holes (on opposite sides of your tire) directly into the face of the tread pattern. Just try to do this in between spikes or tread so that you don't compromise any valuable traction-providing bits of rubber. Ok Kerry, and others. WHY????
By having holes in the actual rubber of the tire instead of (or as well as) just in the rim you allow whats called (fancy word here) "centrifugal force" No, you might not of hard of this in school, but guys talk about it at the track. Your buddies may not know, so here is how you can show them up a little. (just kidding)
"Centrifugal force" is meant to help remove dirt and moisture that may have gotten trapped within your wheels once they start spinning. Holes in the rubber also make it much easier to drain out any water that may get trapped when you are cleaning your tires after playing in the mud.
If you have an old sent of tires, try it out, you'll like the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment