- * Exceed R/C - * Futaba - * Traxxas - * HPI Racing - * Duratrax - * Tamiya -
Want to upgrade?
- * Radio Systems - * Suspension - * Motors & ESC's - * LED Lighting - * Lexan Bodies - * Wheels & Tires -

Wanna know what ORCCTM can do for you? Let ORCCTM know what's got your gears going,
and let ORCCTM give you some pointers and guide you in the right direction.

Email rcmodzwinnipeg@gmail.com
Get the details on some fellow R/C enthusiast common questions and some of ORCCTM's How-To
along with ORCCTM's answers to your questions listed bellow on our blog post's

Monday, October 25, 2010

Connector Meltdown

Photobucket

"Hello ORCCTM, my name is Damion and I have been doing the rc thing for a couple of years. I don't have a lot of experience, but when I had a problem with a couple of my cars, I was told about you guys from your facebook group page. I a wondering if you can shed some light on my problem. I have a Tamiya Night Hauler and a Traxxas Rustler along side a older Kyosho USA-1. I have 3, 3300mah battery packs. I rotated the packs for even draw and charging, BUT on my usa-1 I have had the positive lead of the connectors get really hot and fuse together. I use players to break them apart, the battery connector is trashed but the truck side connector seems ok. I have had this happen to 2 out of 3 packs on my usa-1. I am running stock motors and a Novak Rooster ESC. My LHS said the esc is fine, and that they don't know what this is happening. They said it happens to guys with the old rotatory type, but not electric controlled systems. They think I'm over charging the batteries, what can I do???
Damion, ND."


Damion, first...... if you do anything, stop what your doing and read this. Melting connectors is a cause of high heat, as a result from high resistance in the connector. Tamiya type connectors are known for this. They work well for a while, but after time they wear out. The round metal tabs inside the connector get weak and start to spread apart. This space (however small to the naked eye) is enough to cause high resistance and then a lot of heat. I too had a USA-1 that did this, keep in mind... the USA-1 is a duel motor truck. The rustler and tamiya semi and single motor. The duel motor setup is in parallel meaning with both motors running off each other they a drawing twice as much current. I could tell you to try and repair the connector on the USA-1, but if I was you and had to go to all that work, I would invest on some higher quality connectors. Upgrading to a connector such as "Deans", "Power Pole" and even "Traxxas" type connectors. This will help in a few ways. 1) Less resistance means less heat, and less heat means no more meltdown. 2) Better current flow equals to more and longer power. You need a much power as you can get these days, duel motor trucks need a decent amount of power to perform the way we want them too. Changing over all your cars to these types of connectors will help you in the long run too, as the batteries get higher in MAH levels, and if you want to upgrade the motors later on, you at least have the connectors to do so. Why the LHS didn't suggest this I don't know. But either way we are glad to help. I myself have changed over to "Power Pole" type connectors and never looked back. As far as over charging, if you are using a auto-dectect peak charger.... im sure how you would do this without hitting the "charge" button more once on each full change. Besides, even if you did, that wouldn't cause your melt down. Take a good look at the connector on the USA-1 and compare it to the other two trucks. I think you'll see a difference. In any case, like I said... this upgrade is worth it no matter which way you go.
Hope this helps you out.

ORCCTM Tech.

No comments:

Post a Comment